News update on 24th March 2017
The Creswell and Whitwell Co-operative Store members joined forces to raise money for ‘local causes’ and the funds were raised through the 5p carrier bag charge along with a 1% dividend donation. The Charitable Company Limestone House was one of three ‘local causes’ which were awarded funding from the Co-operative. Limestone House was awarded £1716.00 which will be used for the further development of the current Music Club to a Music Centre at Limestone House.
Thank you to the Co-operative Stores and their members for the
Award made to Limestone House, Creswell
Already on Monday mornings members of the Limestone House Music Club listen to a wide range of Music from 10.30 a.m to 12 noon and on Sunday mornings, from 9.30 a m to 1pm, music lessons are given (at a cost of £2) on Drum Kit and on Brass Band instruments (thanks to instruments loaned by Bolsover District Council and the Elmton and Creswell Parish Council). New learners and players who wish to improve their playing skills are welcome. Contact Julie on 01909 724061 to Book lessons.
The purpose of the development of a Music Centre at Limestone House is to give an opportunity, at low cost, to members of the Community and Locality to join the Music Club and enjoy listening to a wide range of Music or to learn to play a Musical instrument or to improve their playing skills. The benefits of this project will reduce Social Exclusion, include a wide range of ages, assist Community development, promote Health and Well-being, raise achievements and aspirations and improve other life skills through mixing with all ages in a Social Arena through the Limestone House Music Club
NEWS FROM LIMESTONE HOUSE COMMUNITY AND VISITOR CENTRE
Open: Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.30pm and Saturday 9am to 12noon and
EVENING OPENING ON WEDNESDAYS TO 6pm Contact 01909 724061
Services and Activities at Limestone House Community and Visitor Centre:-
- Memory Lane Café at reasonable prices
- Heritage Centre: Mining Display by the Elmton with Creswell Local History Group
- Access to 2 Computers with internet for the Community
- ‘Making Ends Meet/ Get your Finances in Shape’: we can direct you to someone who can give you support
- Tutor led, Intergenerational Training in basic IT and on line communications funded by Big Local, No upper age limit for this course on Wednesdays from 3.30pm to 6pm
- Advisory services every Thursday 1pm to 3.30pm in Room 6,
- Recycling in Charity shops (upstairs and downstairs at Limestone House)
- Help with Reading and Writing (Drop in on Tuesday afternoons), (Room 7/8)
- Training through Volunteering or Work experience in Retail and Cafe.
- Music Club on Mondays: music presentations 10.30 to 12 noon (Room 7/8), Music Lessons:- Teaching new learners, Coaching Brass Instrument players and Drum Kit lessons on Sundays 10.00a.m to 1.00 p.m . Some Brass Instruments are available if you wish to learn (cornets, tenor horn and trombone)
- Luncheon Clubs on Mondays and Fridays from 12.15pm. Transport available.
- Genealogy Club: Thursday mornings 10am to 12noon i.e Research your Family Tree
- Wildlife Group: on line:- see website. Job Club: Drop in: every Tuesday 1.30 to 3.00pm
- Room Hire £8 an hour, evenings too. Phone to book a room ( IDEAL FOR BREAKFAST MEETINGS)
- Guitar Club on random Sundays 11am to 12.30pm
- ‘Connect Creswell’, Crafts and various activities continue, (Book in at Limestone House):- in liaison with Public Health, Limestone House, Derbyshire County Council Adult Education and Creswell Children’s Centre, Creswell Leisure Centre, Creswell Social Centre
- Filming / Photocopying
- Various Fundraising activities for the Charity’s sustainability: 100+ Club, Concerts with light refreshments, Raffles, Spot the Ball. Tea time Brass Band Proms concert on 30/10/16
- Book a Lunch for your Group. One week’s notice required
www.limestonehousecreswell,com We are on Facebook/ We do have a lift
Elmton and Creswell Village Company, Charity number: 1128286
E mail: email@example.com
25 children from the Jupiter Class at Creswell Junior School had earned some ‘Golden Time’ at School. On Friday afternoon, 26th February 2016, with their Teachers, they spent their ‘Golden Time’ in the Limestone House Heritage Centre Café enjoying light refreshments and looking around the Heritage Centre’s historical features on display and the Limestone Journeys Mural, which depicts scenes of the ‘Ice Age’ and scenes through the ages to an up to date scene showing children on Computer. Chairman Julie Holling, Staff, Volunteers and other Customers were delighted to welcome the children and teachers into Limestone House for this repeat visit as in 2015 they also spent their Golden Time in Limestone House.
On 10th February 2016 a new project began at Limestone House in partnership with Stubbinwood School, Shirebrook. Eleven students with two of their teachers came into Limestone House as an ‘Introduction day’ finding out about ‘ the income making work done at Limestone House’ and they then stayed for their Lunch. This project will continue through to an event on Sunday, 22nd May 2016 when Limestone House and the Stubbinwood School students will celebrate their partnership work at the Teatime Brass Band concert in the Creswell Social Centre, which the Students will also help to organise.
The Elastic FM Community Awards Event was enjoyed by Representatives of the Elmton and Creswell Village Company, Limestone House on 12th February 2016 at the Pro-Tech Stadium, Chesterfield.
The Elmton and Creswell Village Company, due to their Community Regeneration work, became finalists for the Community Organisation award and the group send their congratulations to the winner Clowne and District Community Transport.
Julie Holling, Chairman of the Elmton and Creswell Village Company, became a finalist in the Award for ‘a person who makes a difference in the Community’. The winner was the retired Headmaster of Heritage School, Don Spencer and Julie congratulated Don Spencer who had in the past supported the liaison between Heritage School students and Limestone House _____________________________________________________________
Notification has been received by Julie Holling from Paul Davies of Elastic FM about the application she submitted to the Elastic FM Community Awards with regard to the Charity Elmton and Creswell Village Company based at Limestone House, Creswell
News from Limestone House, Creswell on 10 January 2016 sent to the Worksop Life magazine for the February 2016 edition
Take a look at the new Limestone House website:- www.limestonehousecreswell.com
Limestone House is now on Facebook
Looking back to 2015 Limestone House had 22 Activities ongoing throughout the year and ended the year with a joyful Christmas period with Christmas Buffets in Limestone House at the Monday and Friday Luncheon clubs and a Christmas Buffet for the Staff and Volunteers. Christmas Dinners in Limestone House also went well for the Friends Walking Group and the Genealogy Club. We are now taking bookings for 2016 Christmas dinners or for Christmas Buffets. Groups, from 6 to 18 in number, can also book in for a Two course meal or a Buffet at Limestone House, giving one week’s notice.
A good start to 2016 for the Community:-
The Limestone House Charity Shop display is now on both floors at Limestone House giving a much wider choice of items:- jewellery, bric a brac, clothes, CDs, DVDs, books, toys. A Sale has now started with ‘all clothes at Half Price’. Please ‘Call in and Grab a Bargain’
- Julie Holling, the Chairman at Limestone House, has been granted a Star Partner’s ‘Try It Award’ of up to £500 to start a Music Club. The Star Partners project awards cash and support to people to help to change the area for the better and Julie believes that getting involved in Music will benefit the Community. Julie started playing in the Dinnington Brass Band from age 7 and was a member of the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain. She became the Solo Horn player in the famous Creswell Colliery Brass Band in the early 70s and formed the Creswell Junior Band and enjoyed teaching young people to play brass instruments. Julie went on to become the Musical Director of Colliery Bands in this area and in South Yorkshire, becoming the first woman to conduct a Colliery Band. She is keen to pass on her musical skills to young people and also to organise a wide range of music presentations in Limestone House. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Music Club for Brass instrument lessons or coming along fortnightly to listen to Music presentations in Limestone House contact 01909 724061 for more information.
- Limestone House hopes to involve members of the Community and the locality in Training in many aspects of Computer Learning in 2016 (Basic Computers, E mailing Wi Fi Café etc, ) also training in Health and Wellbeing matters (Health and Safety, First Aid Course etc . A survey is ongoing for you to express your interest in training Please call in or contact Limestone House to express your interest. (01909 724061)
- The 2015 activities in Limestone House continue in 2016 and include the Job Club, Knitting Club, Genealogy Club, Luncheon Clubs, 100+ Club, Advisory Services, Recycling through the Charity Shop, Memory Lane Café, Take Away, Heritage Centre, 2nd hand Book Shop, Support with Reading and Writing, Wildlife Group (also now on line), Star Partners, Community Computers, Training in Community Work for the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme, Fundraising Brass Band Concerts, Filming, Room Hire, Training through Volunteering and Work Experience
Looking back through 2015, besides the Community work carried out in Limestone House, the Elmton and Creswell Village Company has donated:-
£60 which was raised at the November Brass Band Concert, to the research charity: Cardiac Arrest in the Young
Some items donated by friends of Limestone House, which haven’t sold in the Limestone House Charity shop, have been passed on to a Worksop Charity to raise funds for their work for the homeless
Baby and Toddler items have been passed on to the Creswell Children’s Centre to help families
Christmas Bags containing some clothes and toiletries have been passed on to the Shirebrook Christian Centre to help them in their work with the homeless.
£1 Vouchers have been distributed randomly in Creswell on two occasions to use in Limestone House.
In January 2016 there will be a Sale in Limestone House and an extension to the Charity shop will open on the first Floor.
A Music Club will be starting in Limestone House early in 2016 and Coaching for Brass Players and Music presentations in Limestone House will be part of the Music Club activities; Contact Julie Holling on 01909 724061 if you would like more information
News sent to the Worksop Life Magazine for their December edition and to the Warsop Times
LIMESTONE HOUSE, CRESWELL
(Elmton & Creswell Village Company)
E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
http://www.limestonehousecreswell.com Tel: 01909 724061
All at Limestone House, Creswell send their Best wishes to you all for a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year
The Limestone House Community Centre is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.30pm and Saturday mornings 9am to 12 noon and welcomes Visitors and Groups.
Limestone House is working with the Bolsover Healthy Neighbourhoods Team – Derbyshire County Council , Creswell Children’s Centre, DCC Adult Education and Creswell Leisure Centre in the project ‘Connect Creswell’ Building a healthy community together and Craft sessions continue in Limestone House as follows:
Christmas Crafts ‘Make it & Take It’ on Thursdays:-12th,19th,26th November and 3rd, 10th,17th December 2015
Limited spaces are available so please book soon
The Limestone House Christmas Shop in Limestone House is open until 23rd December from 9am to 4.30pm
Improvements have been made at Limestone House due to funding from:
Biffa Award: New ground floor front windows, efficient lighting throughout the building and two small rooms have been converted into a large versatile room which is available for hire and is ideal for Business Meetings, Group meetings, Presentations on many interests such as Wildlife, Heritage, filming and recording, Music Club etc. The Memory Lane Café provides refreshments from its varied menu. (Telephone 01909 724061 to book the newly converted room at £8 an hour)
LaFarge has provided improved storage facilities at the rear of Limestone House
The Board of Trustees wish to give a Big Thank You to the above Funders for their support in the project improvements at the Community Centre and also wish to thank everyone who has donated items to Limestone House. These are sold in the Charity Shop and Book Shop to raise income to enable the Village Company to continue in their regeneration work which began in 2002.
Thank you to all our Customers for their continuing support.
The Board of Trustees, Staff and all Volunteers work tirelessly at Limestone House to benefit the Community and the locality and the Chairman Julie Holling expresses her thanks to them for their time and effort in sustaining the Limestone House Community Centre.